Teak walls. Grand stairways. Cooling drinks and fine feasts. The Pegu Club on Pyay Road and Zagawar Street was originally established in 1882 by the British. Over the years, the club remained an intimate part of Yangon’s history and went on to inspire world-famous novels and cocktails.
Now in the process of careful restoration, The Pegu Club pays tribute to the original building, and is a space for all to celebrate, entertain and enrich.
An oasis of charm and splendour, where heritage and modern sensibilities meet.
Welcome to the next chapter of The Pegu Club story.
The present-day Pegu Club located on Pyay Road and Zagawar Street was established in 1882 by the British.
Rudyard Kipling, a notable English writer and poet, visited The Pegu Club and wrote From Sea to Sea.
In anticipation of the Prince of Wales visit to Myanmar, The Pegu Club built an extension, today called The Prince of Wales Great Hall.
The gin-based cocktail that was synonymous with The Pegu Club started appearing in cocktail compendiums, making the Myanmar cocktail world-famous.
The Princess, Sao Ohn Nyunt, known for her serene beauty, mentioned that although Myanmar had achieved independence, the Club retained colonial elements.
The Pegu Club closed its doors to the public. Many original components were removed and replaced with timber reinforcements.
The Club served as an administrative hub for government officals and the army. During their occupancy, they led the last wave of renovations and additions to the Club that still remain today.
Over a decade since it was last occupied, the Pegu Club is reborn. Efforts were carefully made to restore the building. Its halls, gardens and courtyards will continue to be preserved and are slated to open end of this year.
The Prince of Wales Great Hall once hosted Edward VIII during his tour of Burma and India in 1922. The Prince of Wales Great Hall houses the reinvention of The Pegu Club Bar, where the Pegu Club cocktail originated.
|284sqm||120 guests||100 guests|
The Lounge is located inside the original Pegu Club building and maintains the original Victorian-style diamond-paned windows that were part of its original design.
The Drawing Room is a stately room overlooking the Somerset Courtyard and beautifully manicured Swedaw Lawn. Its elegant, teak panelled walls have been maintained, and the room has been revamped with AV facilities to host private meetings.
The Somerset Court is between the Prince of Wales Great Hall and the main Pegu Club building. A mixture of colonial and Victorian architecture frames this serene and peaceful teak-deck courtyard that forms a central portion of the site.
|333sqm||150 guests||100 guests|
The Pegu Club has some of Yangon’s largest and most beautiful lawns, comprising Swedaw, Thazin and Ingyin. Originally home to Yangon’s most exclusive tennis grass courts, these lawns are a perfect setting for that special outdoor celebration.
|Thazin||1,550sqm||350 guests||250 guests|
|Ingyin||840sqm||250 guests||150 guests|
The Pegu Club is one of the few landmarks in modern Yangon that features Georgian and Victorian architectural designs. Much of the Club’s original structure such as the solid teak columns and beautifully tailored lawns remain in original condition – evokes a sense of yesteryear.
The now revitalised Club sets the stage for celebrating life’s special occasions and commercial events. If you require special arrangements, speak to our dedicated and experienced team for a bespoke experience.
The Pegu Club
48 Zagawar Street and Pyay Road Dagon Township,
Tel: +95 1 388 398